Contributing to the ABINIT project
(this page has been inspired by the corresponding one in the Darwin distribution)
People often receive such great benefits from free software that they would like to contribute something back, so that others can benefit as they have.
There are several ways that you can help the ABINIT project :
- Become an ABINIT developer ! You might contribute to the core development effort, as well as to the documentation effort : e.g. write a tutorial... See the ABINIT Developer Web page.
- Make suggestions ! Please post all constructive suggestions on the forum.
- Debug ABINIT ! When you encounter a problem with ABINIT, you might take some time to try to fix it. You can fix ABINIT directly using Github : there is a mirror of the Gitlab ABINIT repository at https://github.com/abinit . You might also open a new topic on the forum .
- Answer questions on the forum ! If you have developped some understanding of ABINIT, you might be able to help the main developers to answer the numerous questions asked by beginners (or other confirmed users).
- Make a financial contribution.
Visit our "ABINIT thank page" !
Why would you give money ?
- For companies using ABINIT : think to the money that you would spend to buy a commercial product with the same capabilities of ABINIT ! If you sponsor our project, you will strengthen us, and actually get more from your money, in the long-term ... Think "FREE SOFTWARE". For hardware vendors : ABINIT is a widely used software package ! Making sure that we test and debug it on your software might give you more customers...
- How to donate ? Simply contact Xavier Gonze. Money is fine, hardware is fine as well.
- Why do we need money ? For a lot of reasons ... As an example, in order to organize the International ABINIT developer workshops, we had to spend a lot of time to write proposals and collect money from government agencies, or from different networks. This time might have been saved if we had sponsors. With more money, we could also hire people to maintain the code, and develop it.